2016 Pretreatment & Pollution Prevention Workshop & Training Green Meetings
Protecting our environment and the planet is of fundamental importance to the National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA) and its members. Our green meeting strategy aims to lighten our environmental impact by:
- NACWA has significantly reduced printed materials for conferences, and prints only what is necessary to the success of the conference.
- Materials that are printed for our meetings are printed on Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper that is made with a minimum of 10% post-consumer waste.
- NACWA lanyards are made from 100% post-consumer plastic, mostly plastic bottles.
- All NACWA Signage is made from reusable materials. The NACWA Sponsorship Bio-Banner is made from the new revolutionary biodegradable PVC material. When placed in a landfill, the Bio-Banner will literally vanish within 3-5 years unlike other vinyl banners that remain unchanged for decades.
- NACWA staff also will be reducing paper usage as much as possible onsite, using ENERGY STAR certified computers and adopting other "green office" practices when available.
Recycling of Materials
- Recycling bins for bottles, paper, aluminum and glass are available in the hotel throughout meeting rooms, guest rooms and at breaks.
- Following the conclusion of the meeting, be sure to stop by NACWA's registration desk to drop off your badge and lanyard – NACWA strives to recycle and reuse as many meeting materials as possible.
Other NACWA Meeting Policies
- NACWA offers tap water at our conferences, so that we can all enjoy the product of our member's labors and reduce waste.
Hilton Long Beach Environmental Policies
- The California Green Lodging program with the Department of General Services Statewide Travel Program has awarded the Hilton Long Beach with their Conservation Green Hotel Award.
- The Hilton Long Beach is honored to be the first hotel in Long Beach to implement a program to conserve water by installing water conservation toilets in all its guestrooms.
- The Hotel has a recycling program for Aluminum, Glass, Plastic, Mixed Paper, Newspapers, and Toner Cartridges.
- In efforts of water conservation, the Hotel offers a reuse program for linens and towels on multi-day stays.
- This Hotel has a donation program in place for charitable organizations for its left over food, used amenity containers, and purchased amenities.
- The Hotel ensures that preference is given to reusable, minimal, or recyclable packaging and shipping pallets.
- The property also ensures that at least ½ of the cleaning products and detergents used are the least toxic that are currently available. All hazard paints and adhesives have been replaced with nontoxic substances and dishwashing detergent is biodegradable.
- The hotel has the following energy efficient equipment: fax machines, copiers, computers, printers, monitors, TVs, chillers, air conditioners, water heaters, freezers, cook-tops, ovens, boilers, washers, dryers, extractors, windows, film-covered windows, lighting, programmable sensors/timers for lighting in low traffic areas, landscape watering includes retrofits for faucets and aerators, plant beds, and soaker hoses.